Students in Years 7–11 all wear the Devonport High School for Girls uniform. Students are encouraged to be proud of their appearance and behaviour as ambassadors for the school. Students are expected to arrive at, and leave school in school uniform, which includes:
• brown school skirt (knee-length) or brown school trousers.
• brown school jumper with the school and House badge.
• white polyester or cotton shirt, which is to be worn tucked in when wearing the school jumper. Polo shirts or T-shirts are not permitted.
• black/dark brown plain shoes. (Trainers or trainer-style shoes, boots, high heels, canvas shoes, open-toed shoes or flip-flops are not permitted).
• plain natural, black or dark brown tights or white ankle socks.
• plain coat, anorak or jacket for outdoor wear (not ‘hoodies’)
• plain brown or black headscarves may be worn to observe religious beliefs.
Hair, Make-up and Jewellery
Hair colour must be natural in appearance. Students must not wear nail varnish, shellac, gel or false nails or false eyelashes. Natural looking make-up may be worn, without eyeliner or lipstick. The only jewellery permitted, is a single small stud in the lower lobe of each ear and a wristwatch.
There is no school uniform in the Sixth Form, but students must abide by the Sixth Form Dress Code: clothing worn by Sixth Form students must be suitable business wear or smart casual clothing. Low-cut tops or dresses, crop-tops, sleeveless tops, and ‘off the shoulder’ tops; torn or ripped clothes or clothing with inappropriate or offensive imagery; shorts and short skirts/dresses or flip-flops, are not appropriate. Visible piercings are restricted to one piercing per ear lobe, one more stud (no other facial piercings) and hair colour must be natural in appearance.
Guidance for wearing mufti
On a ‘Mufti Day’ the essence of the school dress code, which is driven by both health and safety and appropriateness for a work environment, will be applied. This includes wearing appropriate footwear (no high heels or flip-flops). Our students continue to be fantastic ambassadors for the school and maintaining these standards is very important to us.
Any student who is deemed to be dressed inappropriately may be asked to return home to change or to wear uniform provided by their Head of House.
Physical Education Uniform
PE Kit Current Year 7 – 10 to be phased out by Sept 2025*
All students must wear PE uniform for health and safety reasons.
- Black Football socks white hoops.
- White ankle socks.
- White Polo shirt with black trim and school crest.
- Black VX3 Ludus Shorts or Black tracksuit bottoms or Black sports legging bottoms.
- Black hoody with crest.
- Shin pads
- Trainers suitable for sports, not fashion-wear.
(Apart from the Black VX3 Ludus Shorts.)
New VX3 PE Kit All students must wear PE uniform for health and safety reasons. There is a mix of compulsory and optional items. If you have ordered your child’s VX shorts we are happy that your child comes into school in their warm-up travel kit of leggings/tracksuit bottoms and gets changed into a black sports bottom for their practice PE lesson, or lunchtime/after school clubs. At the end of the lesson, they will need to get changed back into their leggings or tracksuit bottoms or school skirt.
- Fortis Black/Amber Tee or Fortis Black/Amber Polo Fortis
- Black/Amber Hoodie or Fortis Black/Amber Half Zip Sweat
- Black Ludus Shorts or Black Motus Legging Black
- Playing Socks
- White Sports Socks (these do not need to be purchased from VX3)
- Shin pads (these do not need to be purchased from VX3)
- Trainers suitable for sports, not fashion-wear
These are available to purchase when you need to buy new items, using the VX3 link at the bottom of this page.
Optional additional kit:
- Fortis Black/Amber Full Zip Rain Coat
- Black Primus Base Layer
- Black Solum or Braca Trackpants
- Black Classic or Trucker Cap
- Black Boot Bag
- Black Backpack
- Black Kit Bag
White Crew Socks We have a full selection of VX3 kit held at school for the students to come and try on.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a slot.
Items of uniform may be bought from the following suppliers:
1 The Rope Walk, Beech Avenue, Cattedown, Plymouth, PL4 0QQ. Tel: 01752 660145
The Schoolwear Shop
105 Mayflower Street, Plymouth, PL1 1SD. Tel: 01752 252025
3/4 Sugarmill Retail Park, Billacombe Road, Plymouth, PL9 7HT
Email:email@example.com Website: https://vx-3.com/collections/devonport-high-school-for-girls
Excellent quality second-hand uniform is available from the PTFA