Students in Years 7–11 all wear the Devonport High School for Girls uniform. Students are encouraged to be proud of their appearance and behaviour as they are fantastic ambassadors for the school. Students are expected to arrive at, and leave, school in full school uniform, which may include:
- Brown school skirt (knee length) or brown school trousers.
- Brown school jumper with the school badge. The House badge should be sewn onto the jumper directly below the school badge.
- White polyester or cotton shirt, which is to be worn tucked in when wearing the school jumper. Polo shirts or T-shirts are not permitted.
- Black/dark brown plain shoes. No trainers (or trainer-style shoes), boots, high heels, canvas shoes, open-toed shoes or flip flops are permitted.
- Plain natural, black or dark brown tights or white ankle socks.
- Plain coat, anorak or jacket for outdoor wear (not 'hoodies').
- Plain brown or black headscarves may be worn to observe religious beliefs.
Hair and Make-up
Unnatural coloured hair is not acceptable. Students should not wear nail varnish, shellac, gel or false nails. Natural looking make-up may be worn, without eyeliner or lipstick. The only jewellery permitted, is a single small stud in the lower lobe of each ear and a wrist watch.
There is no school uniform in the Sixth Form but students must abide by the Sixth Form Dress Code: clothing worn by sixth formers must be appropriate smart-casual clothing. Low-cut tops or dresses, crop-tops, sleeveless tops, and ‘off the shoulder’ tops; torn or ripped clothes or clothing with inappropriate or offensive imagery; shorts and short skirts/dresses or flip-flops, are not appropriate. Visible piercings are restricted to one piercing per ear lobe (no facial piercings) and hair colour must be natural in appearance.
Guidance for wearing mufti
On a ‘MUFTI DAY’ the essence of the school dress code, which is driven by both health and safety and appropriateness for a work environment, will be applied. This includes wearing appropriate footwear (no high heels or flip flops). Our students continue to be fantastic ambassadors for the school and maintaining these standards is very important to us.
Any student who is deemed to be dressed inappropriately may be asked to return home to change or to wear uniform provided by their Head of House.
Physical Education Uniform
It is essential that all students wear PE uniform for health and safety reasons. The core kit list includes:
- Games socks with black and white hoops.
- White ankle socks.
- Black “football” shorts (no skirts).
- Black “cycle” shorts.
- White shirt with black trim and school badge.
- Black hooded warm up top with school crest.
- Shin pads.
- Trainers suitable for sports, not fashion-wear.
Optional additional kit:
- Black tracksuit bottoms. Black sports leggings can be worn in KS4.
- A black or white ‘base layer’ to be worn under the Polo shirt.
- Red Polo shirt with school badge for Dance and Sports Leaders (from Yr10). White Polo shirt with school badge for GCSE P.E.
Items of uniform may be bought from the following suppliers:
1 The Rope Walk, Beech Avenue, Cattedown, Plymouth, PL4 0QQ. Tel: 01752 660145
The Schoolwear Shop
105 Mayflower Street, Plymouth, PL1 1SD. Tel: 01752 252025
3/4 Sugarmill Retail Park, Billacombe Road, Plymouth, PL9 7HT
Excellent quality second-hand uniform is available from the PTFA